"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away."

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Babble

I guess it's time to post something new. SCHOOL IS OUT!!! That's the best news I have. I'm enjoying my summer vacation. So far I haven't accomplished anything huge, but I have been doing lots of cleaning and de-cluttering around the house. For those of you who know how much I hate to clean, that may be surprising but it feels great to get rid of things I haven't used or that are just taking up too much room. Freecycle.com and Craigslist have become our friends, as well as the local thrift store's drop-off bay. :)

No news on the adoption process--it's a process and we're just waiting right now for the homestudy report and profile to be completed. In the meantime, I'm having fun picking out furniture (or trying to--IKEA disappointed me today with their outrageous shipping costs so I am back to researching other options). Used furniture stores might be on the agenda for tomorrow, I think it might be fun to refinish an older dresser for a changing table/storage piece. I've also started thinking about what I want to do with our guest room to convert it to a nursery-and I think I've come up with some good ideas so far, with some help of course. :) I'm thinking brown and teal (or maybe lime green instead of the blue) for our "theme" but I'll probably wait until I have time to check out fabric before I decide for sure. My friend Jennifer is going to sew some things, just to clear that up. I haven't got even the slightest hint of craftiness in me. I figure we might as well use this waiting time for something good and what better time to think about exactly what we want as far as baby gear than before we're stressed out with the details of the adoption process?!

By the way, the book Baby Bargains is awesome--I needed a starting point for which brands are okay, what is useful and what is just a waste of $, etc. and it's been very helpful in narrowing down some choices. Thanks for the recommendation, Natalie!

Saturday will be a milestone day for us--our 5 year Anniversary! It's wierd to think that it's been that long; our wedding day seems like yesterday in some ways, but then again a lot has happened in 5 years also. We're hoping to head down south to Lake Ouachita on Sunday after meeting for a couple nights of camping. It's near Hot Springs, which we've never been to either, but we'll probably stay away from civilization as much as possible. :)

Ummmm...I think I'm out of things to say...

2 comments:

DK Campbell said...

Happy Anniversary, early! :) Too bad I'm not taking the truck to TX - I could pick something up for you... Perhaps this is a sign that you need to take a trip? I know Houston has an IKEA and I think Austin might have one too??? Don't quote me on that...

scuski's said...

here's a common sense type approach to designing a nursery, maybe some points will be helpful: http://www.wikihow.com/Design-a-Baby-Nursery