"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away."

Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Great Dog Debate

Okay--the latest debate around our house is regarding whether or not to get a dog. I say yes (and have for awhile)...Ryan says no. I'm trying real hard to be the good, obedient wife--but I think he would enjoy a dog, too. Maybe you can help us decide!

I'm thinking an outdoor dog--fairly self sufficient but I realize it would require food, water, a warm place to sleep (doghouse, etc.), and play/walks regularly. We have a nice sized fenced-in backyard which I think would be perfect. Maybe I would take more walks if we had a dog? I'd definitely like the play part--and would spend more time in the backyard if we had a dog.

Ryan counters with "and what do we do with it when we travel?" (me: put out plenty of food, water, and ask a neighbor to check on it every other day). "what about the dog poo in the yard? (me: train it to poo in one specific spot?) "what about when you get tired of it?" (me: worst case scenario--get rid of it, but we had dogs growing up, I know I like them, and I don't think that will happen)

So my questions are this: Do you have a dog? Do you want a dog? Do you want to get rid of your dog (as in--have one but wish you didn't?) Feel free to post comments or suggestions!!!

P.S. I'm not being sneaky: Ryan knows I posted this and has just agreed that what I've said is an accurate recollection of our debate. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha you guys are cute! I say get a dog!! Mom and dad have been gone for a week...they leave food out and water...and have the neighbors check on them....dogs are great! I suggest a boxer! They have great temperments...well all the ones that we have had do....Love em!!

Anonymous said...

I say get a dog too. Or better yet, we'll bring you Jackson. I think I've offered him to you before though.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...that must be my mother-in-law offering Jackson. :) It's too hot here for a huskey--besides, he wouldn't know what to do in town and I really don't want a dog quite that big. :P Thanks, though!

Anonymous said...

I say get a dog! Of course, this is coming from someone who loves dogs. What would my family do without Yoko? They are such great companions. They will get lonely when you are gone, but if you have someone come over to feed and water, they will be just fine.

DK Campbell said...

I say you should just start a dog-sitting business :) - then you don't have to worry about whether to keep them or not! If you want to quit, you can! Okay, so I don't have anything against them, just don't have a huge appreciation for them! Of course, the outdoor thing is more appealing than anything indoor...

Sonya said...

DOG! Ryan knows he wants one he's just trying to be manly about it! haha